Friday, August 12, 2011

Stuffed Poblano Peppers


So sue me, I like a lot of heat in my food. Sriracha is like ketchup to me (in my pre-Paleo days I loved box mac and cheese with sriracha on it. Oh man alive). And I love peppers of all sorts, shapes, and sizes. My best friend is beloved to me because he has his own garden where he reigns as King of All Things Pepper. He makes these amazing dried chilies and chili sauces and mails them out to me. My point is that if it's got peppers in it, it's a dish I like.

Which is why it's so surprising  that I never made stuffed peppers pre-Paleo. Not even the traditional beef and rice bell pepper variety. I've eaten them loads of times, but never made any, until a couple nights ago. And they were delicious. The poblanos are not very spicy, but add a nice low heat to the dish as a whole.


Stuffed Poblano Peppers


3 poblano or larger sized peppers
1/2 lb hamburger
2 t ground chipotle pepper
1/2 can tomato paste
1/4 cup red onion
2 eggs
2 T fish sauce

1. Mix all of the stuffing ingredients, then allow to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
2. Slice poblanos width-wise (otherwise you'll end up with less of a "pocket" for the meat.
3. Stuff with meat mixture, bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until meat is set.
4. Stick under broiler for 5 minutes to fully brown tops just before serving.

If your version of paleo allows cheese, go for it! I'm dairy-free, but a little queso would really go well with this. Additionally, you can freeze any extra for an easy go-to lunch!

1 comments:

Was your mouth on fire from the Pablano peppers?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More