Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cakewalk...without the cake!





Day 4 of Paleo is going strong. I had a surprise guest come and stay the last few days, and originally it looked like it would put a kink in the brand spanking new paleo-drive I was experiencing. As it turns out, it was a great experience in approaching small bumps (like eating out), and sticking to the Paleo plan. I’ve lost 4 pounds so far, and I feel more alert and energized and just happy. It’s so wonderful to be sticking to a eating lifestyle where I can eat, instead of restricting myself to the saddest little amount of calories. 


When I first started looking through paleo blogs, I really wanted someone to show me a walkthrough of what they were eating and doing, as a guide. I’ll put up my week thus far in a separate post, maybe it will help someone. In this post though, I want to talk about eating out.


When my friend Conor stayed with me, he was pretty intent on eating out. Visiting the Pacific Northwest from New Mexico, he was hardcore missing all the amazing food Oregon and Washington have to offer: fresh veggies, farm-fresh ingredients, non-Southwestern “cuisine”. Where he lives there are no Thai places, no pho, no sushi, etc. I love me a huge hot bowl of pho, but since noodles are on the do-not-pass-go list, that was out of the plan. I also wanted it to be inexpensive, so a local steak or seafood joint was also nixed. He was craving Thai pretty badly, so we went to Sweet Basil on Glisan. I figured I could find something inexpensive and Paleo friendly. As it turned out, it was easier than I had thought. The Tom Kha, a lemongrass and coconut milk soup, in my case studded with huge sea scallops, mussels, shrimp, and squid, only set me back about $7. The next night was a little more difficult: we were on our way back from a trip to the coast, hungry and tired, and every suggestion seemed to include carbs and wheat and dairy all around; or it was too pricey. Finally, in a moment of brilliant inspiration, I thought of a great 24-hour diner downtown. I could get ham or bacon with eggs, and sub tomatoes for the hashbrowns and toast. Again, about $7. Success! 


I have to admit, I haven’t hit any huge cravings yet. I don’t really miss cake or pie or bread. Jeff is having more of an issue, since he’s working in a bakery, and is therefore confronted with amazing forbidden foods all day long. I know he’s really struggling with it, but so far seems to be holding up! For me, I’m already looking forward to breakfast (mushroom omelette), lunch (salmon), and dinner (nitrate and filler free hot dogs and 5:10 eggs) with either fresh bing cherries or banana-walnut ice cream for dessert! Should have pictures up soon!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More