Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Offal Good



I'm going to start posting food-related videos here as both a way for me to remember them, and as a helpful resource. In the video shown here, Chef Jason Bond prepares a pork heart in an appetizing way. This week I purchased some beef heart from my local Asian market, but had no idea how to prepare it. After some reading, I had decided to do a quick sautee with some vegetables. I think I'll still do that with half, but then prepare the other half as shown above. The thin chilled slices of rare heart look like an excellent way of trying it for the first time.


When I was younger, my mother would make liver. She'd cook up the onions, and the whole house would smell amazing. Then she would fry the crap out of the liver, rendering it into this gristly, awful tasting, gritty hunk of meat. Even the disgusting amount of Heinz 57 I poured over the top didn't do the trick. Since then, I've learned to really like the taste of liverwurst, especially on toast (although not any more!), but it will take a little work before I'm up for trying liver again. So I figure I'll start with heart, then move to kidney (Patty at Following My Nose has a fantastic sounding lamb kidney recipe!), then maybe tackle liver. I know how important it is for Henry to get organ meat as part of his raw diet, and it makes sense for us to consume organ meat as well, as it's so full of vitamins and minerals.


I'll update once I've cooked the beef heart with what I think. Offal may be off-putting to begin with, but I think it's probably more of a mental exercise than actual taste and texture. We'll see!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More