Tuesday, August 9, 2011

General Guidelines for the Paleo Diet

There are so many wonderful books and blogs out there that break down the Paleo diet by each nutritive variable and explain (with science!) the hows and whys of a high protein-high fat-low carb diet and its benefits. I'll touch on some of those, but first I'll explain my reasoning for getting into caveman eats.


Simplify.


Where has my food been? What happened to it before it touched my plate? Was it alive ten days ago, munching on grass, contemplating the clouds, or perhaps its fourth stomach? Did my fruit get bathed in pesticides, or was it hanging out on a tree for this past week?


Think of your favourite carb-laden foods (let us go with ramen, one that all students are familiar with, and all of us on a tight budget know all too well.). I used to think I was the ramen queen. For 69¢ I could buy a a package of ramen, and then cook it as intended, cook it as a stir-fry, cook it as a strange noodle filled cream-of-x-soup dish that was delicious on a cold day. At my favourite Asian market in Portland there is an entire aisle dedicated to ramen; and oh what ramen it had! Spicy ramen! Sweet ramen! Ramen with those little packets of "real" meat! 


But there's another side to this innocent, inexpensive meal. For one, have you looked at the nutritional content for a pack of ramen? Starting off, a serving (around 200 calories, 26g of carbs, 780mg of sodium and 7g of fat) is only half the package. Who eats half a package of ramen? Secondly, the way it's prepared is even worse. Nothing is identifiable in the end product. Basically you have cheap fats, cheap processed white flour, and cheap white sugar deep fried in noodle form. Add to that the salt and MSG laden 'flavour packet', and you have filled yourself up on absolutely nothing. 


Let's take another example. Think about your favourite pastry. I once worked at a place that had the employees bring in breakfast on Fridays. A popular appearance on the counter was the Costco/Kirkland muffins. At 612 calories for a single blueberry muffin, you're spending all that on 71g carbs, 40g sugars, and 32g fat. The ingredients are similar to the ramen: processed sugar, processed flour, cheap processed fats. You have no idea what is actually going into your body. 


What about people who naturally eat healthily?


A few friends of mine are vegetarian, and recently one of them was talking to me about his eating perspective. He told me that although he had been a vegetarian for years, he was beginning to question the authenticity of his eating style. His fridge was full of processed tempeh, soy products, and vegetarian faux-items. "What's more important," he asked me, "having a free-ranged turkey that I chose from a flock that I knew was raised without any additives, and portioned into items I can recognize, or having a gardenburger?" 


I like to recognize my food. I love looking at my plate and seeing a cut of beef, whole roasted tubers, sautéed vegetables. I know where everything came from; and even if I don't know the exact farm or field, I can still claim my food closer to its origin than, say, a Lean Cuisine. 


No counting!


It should be minor, but it's actually a big deal for some people. On the Paleo diet, you're not counting calories. You're eating when you're hungry, and stopping when you're not. For some people, especially those raised with a "finish your plate" mentality, that last bit is difficult. But you'll find that when you start listening to your body, your body is pretty good at regulating what it needs. There is no sacred amount of x that you need to hit or restrict: eat when you're hungry--fresh veggies, meats, soups, fruit--and rest from eating when you're not hungry. One thing I've learned with eating on Paleo? Relax, honey. Just relax. 




Eat this:




All meats, any meat. Offal, sweetbreads, steaks, pork chops, roasts, game, poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs. Preferably free-range and/or grass-fed. Keep it as simple and close to the source as possible.


All vegetables. Carrots, summer squash, mushrooms, all greens, artichoke, eggplant, snow peas (in pod)... your local farmers market is a free-for-all buffet of seasonal goodness!


Root vegetables. Sweet potato, beets, turnips, swedes. I wouldn't go hog-wild on these if you're trying to lose weight, but if you're doing crossfit or trying to gain strength they are a great source of needed carbs (the point is not to simply 'avoid carbs', that's Atkins)!


All fruits, and nuts. As these are higher in sugars and fats, keep these in moderation. Nuts are a great choice if you're feeling peckish, and need to tell your body to hold on, dinner's in a few hours. 






Not that: 




Avoid like the plague all grains, beans (including soy), legumes, and (although there is some debate) high-carb, low nutrient dense foods like the white potato. 


No sugars. Some folks say raw honey or agave nectar is okay. I don't like the blood sugar spikes that come with sugar additives, so I'll sweeten with pure fruit juices like coconut, apple, or pineapple. 


No or limited dairy. This is another one of those paleo 'hot topics' for debate. Most people have some level of lactose intolerance, but are unaware of it. My personal opinion is driven by my "simplify" motto- raw dairy (if you can get it), or grass-fed dairy in limited quantities is probably totally okay. I don't have access to raw milk yet, but intend to add dairy back into my diet as soon as I can get into a herd-share. 


No soft drinks, even diet. After all I've written here, this should be obvious. You can't recognize anything original in a can of cola. 






But I Want This, or That Doesn't Make Sense, or Why I Haven't Written a 'This is It and Only It' Book



Because the diet is new, and because there is a lot up for debate, the paleo diet is rather flexible in spots. I prefer a rigid, totalitarian, near fascist approach, because I thrive with rules and boundaries (sort of kidding, but not quite). I say no to dairy, and sweeteners. My boyfriend Jeff absolutely has to have his cup of coffee with cream. And you know what? That's okay. Some people give themselves a "cheat day" every week. I personally think having a cheat day implies that you're on some negative, "poor me, I'm on a diet" mindset, but if I get the chance to go to, say, French Laundry one day, you can bet your sweet bippy that I'm not eating paleo. We are human beings, most of us are adults, and we have the freedom to adapt in ways that we see are best. Listen to your body. Will milk ruin the diet for you? Probably not. 


Famous Last Words


I have discovered a new-found joy in food again, and for that I'm deeply appreciative of this diet. I had gotten caught up in counting calories and feeling bloated and unhappy all the time that this diet has truly boosted my mood and made me happier, as a person. Not many "dieting" people can claim that. I revel in the simplicity of what I eat, and I cook, cook, cook, all the time. For me, through paleo, life is more simple. And that's the best endorsement I can give for this wonderful way of eating. Skeptical? Try it. Try it for a week. Try it for 30 days. Try it for life! Be curious. 

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More