Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Beet Greens




Also known as oh-my-god-these-are-amazing! I had purchased a bunch of beets at the farmer's market, with full intention to roast the delicious root vegetables and tossing the rest. As I separated the first beets from the brilliant greens, I had a moments inspiration-couldn't I cook these as well? I tinkered with a recipe, and have to admit that it was a smashing success. I did mine in the slow cooker to help me out time-wise, but you could just as easily do it in a pot on the stove.








Beet Greens with Bacon


Bunch of beet greens
1-2 strips bacon
1/2 cup red onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how much heat you like)
1 can apple juice




1. Chop the bacon into bite-size bits and add to pan.
2. When the bacon begins to brown, remove it and add the red onion.
3. When the onion turns golden brown, add the garlic and bacon back into the pan.
4. Stir, add water, then toss in the beet greens.
5. Top with red pepper and apple juice.
6. Cook on low in slow cooker for three hours, or on low in a pan for one hour. The longer it cooks, the sweeter it gets. Delicious!


Another option is to add short ribs just before adding the water. I tried a couple in this batch, and they were phenomenally delicious. Then you would have an entire meal, as opposed to a side dish!

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More