Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Vegetarian Once Told Me...




I first heard about the Paleo/Primal lifestyle from a friend of mine who has been a vegetarian for years. He’s a physical therapist, and very active, and has always striven for a healthy approach to life. We were all sitting down one evening, having a beer at a local pub. He mentioned he was thinking of changing up his eating habits. “To what,” I joked, “all meat this time?”


Actually, he said, yes. Then he told me about Paleo.


I will admit that initially I scoffed a bit. It sounded like a fun and trendy little fad. I downed the rest of my beer, probably had a slice of pizza, walked home with the dogs. But what he told me about it nagged at me. So I decided to do my favourite thing EVER: research it on the web.


Soon I began turning up lots of information about energy, endurance, weight loss and maintenance, and most importantly, lifelong health. The more I read, the more it began to make sense to me; and honestly, not even so much in the archaic “this is how we lived once”, sense, but in a getting-back-to-basics sense. Identifiable food. I have just turned 29, and I am ready now, more than ever, to turn my eating lifestyle around; cut out the processed crap and sugars, get back to the basics.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More